As youth ministers of the liturgy, we are privileged to assist the priests, deacons and the church community in the celebration of Holy Mass. Through spiritual preparation and training, we serve our church family with reverence, discipline, and a willingness to lead by example.
What We Do:
- Carry the cross and processional candles
- Hold the missal for the priest celebrant
- Carry the candles in the Gospel procession during the Liturgy of the Word
- Prepare the altar for consecration of the gifts
- Lead the offertory procession
- Wash the hands of the priest
- Ring the bells
- Assist with the sacred vessels after Holy Communion
- Join the congregation in prayer responses, singing songs and other liturgical chants
- Assist the priest celebrant and deacon as necessary
- Carry the incense and censer
Time & Training Required:
- Training sessions, two (2) hours in duration are held four (4) times per year. After the initial training, servers are encouraged to attend as often as necessary or desired.
- Altar servers typically are scheduled to serve twice per month on a regular basis and for special services such as holidays, funerals and weddings.
- All servers that attain the age of 18 are encouraged to continue to serve and mentor new servers.
✔ As with all organizations, all member must complete the archdiocesan Safe Environment Training for Adults.
- Must be a member of Holy Family Parish.
- Have received First Holy Communion.
- Complete initial and refresher training.
- Attend annual vocations retreat.
- Regularly receive the sacraments of Reconciliation and the Eucharist.
- Commit to serving as scheduled.
- Adult ministers are required to complete the archdiocesan online Safe Environment Training for Adults.
A candidate for altar server is reverent, prompt, observant, disciplined and has a desire to more actively participate in the Liturgy of the Mass.
Dione Gaspar – Altar Service Coordinator, English
Vickie Melendez – Altar Service Coordinator, Spanish
THE PARISH IS IN NEED OF ALTAR SERVERS! ARE YOU READY TO ANSWER GOD’S CALL?
We need children and young adults who possess the qualities and desire to serve. Altar servers are a critical part of the mass celebration and the ministry provides a unique opportunity for the youth of the parish to serve.
If you are interested in joining the Altar Service Ministry, please complete and submit the Altar Server Ministry Commitment form and you will be contacted.
The next training session is Saturday, April 27th from 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM in the Church. Meet in the Church Narthex.
Parents are encouraged to attend with their children.