Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion are members of the laity who have been commissioned by the Archbishop to assist in the distribution of Holy Communion when there is a genuine pastoral need.
We are committed to bringing the Body and Blood of Jesus to the faithful members of the assembly in order to provide a timely and reverent distribution of Holy Communion.
What We Do:
Distribute the Most Precious Body and Blood of Christ to the laity when an insufficient number of ordinary ministers (bishops, priests, deacons) are present at the Eucharist so that the liturgical celebration will not be unduly prolonged.
Time & Training Required:
Ministers must be willing to:
- serve at Mass at least once a month.
- arrive at least 20 minutes before the assigned mass.
- be available whenever possible to serve at special liturgies throughout the liturgical year.
- complete a 2+ hour Holy Family training for new EMHCs.
- attend at least one Holy Family-sponsored refresher course each year.
✔ As with all organizations, all member must complete the archdiocesan Safe Environment Training for Adults.
- have an interview with the Pastor or one of the clergy.
- have been fully initiated into the Catholic Church with the sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation.
- be 18 years of age, or a High School Senior.
- ensure that their lives are in conformity with the teachings of the Catholic Church, including the teaching on married life.
- dress appropriately.
- arrive on time to assigned Mass.
- notify the EMHC coordinator promptly if unable to attend assigned mass.
- Complete the archdiocesan Safe Environment Training for Adults.
Maturity and reverence for the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist and willingness to share Christ in this form with others.
EMHC Renewal Workshop for all existing Holy Family Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion.
Time: Sat., August 17 10:00 am-12:00 noon
Location: Centennial Room.
Summary: Father Joy James will be leading our spiritual renewal. Last scheduled workshop in 2019; mandatory for all EMHCs who have not attended a renewal workshop this year.
Requirements: Bring your EMHC procedures manual.