Who We Are:
Holy Family lectors are practicing Catholics, who experience a call to proclaim God’s Word. We answer the calling with an understanding that this is not a job; it is not public speaking or oration. It is a sacred opportunity to let the Holy Spirit work through us as we gather in community to glorify God.
“Christ is present in the liturgy through the Eucharist, the priest, and the assembly that prays and sings. He is also present in the Word since it is he himself who speaks when the holy Scriptures are read in the Church.” (CCC 1088 & SC 7)
We are committed to proclaiming the Word of God clearly, reverently, and without distractions.
What We Do:
Proclaim the Word of God during liturgical celebrations in the church.
Time & Training:
Lectors are expected to:
- Proclaim when scheduled
- Attend initial orientation workshop prior to being assigned to the lectors’ monthly schedule
- Attend annual renewal workshops
Proclaiming the Word of God is more complex than standing in front of the assembly and reading a book. It involves the proper understanding and appreciation of Scripture, preparation, use of the voice, and attention to acoustics and liturgical movement. All Holy Family Church Lectors must:
- Be able to speak and project clearly
- Commit to the preparation of their assigned readings.
- Arrive early to assigned liturgy
- Arrange for substitute if not available when assigned
- Have a deep relationship with the Word of God
- Complete the Archdiocesan Safe Environment Training for Adults
Holy Family lectors should have a genuine love of Scripture, belief in the truths found in the Word of God, and have a desire to become more familiar with the Holy Bible.
Inger Louis – English Liturgies
Priscilla Reyes – Spanish Liturgies
Would you like to learn more or are interested in joining/volunteering? Complete the form below and we will get back to you.